Artusi fennel flan
- Difficulty: easy
- Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6 people
- Calories: 231 / serving
With this recipe we offer you the fennel flan, a tasty recipe from Artusi, reported in his famous book. This fennel flan should be considered a side dish, very suitable for roasted poultry or veal, or you can serve it as an appetizer or as a first course by filling the hole with a ragù based on gifts, as Artusi himself recommends, or another type, or even a simple tomato sauce softened by a little cream.
- 4 fennel
- butter to taste
- little milk
- 4 eggs
- a handful of grated Parmesan cheese
- half dose of thick béchamel (find the recipe here)
- Salt to taste
- Clean the fennel, removing the hardest leaves and wash them.
- Cut them into small pieces and put them in a pan with a little water.
- Cook them by evaporating all the water.
- Lightly salt and add a knob of butter.
- Sprinkle with a little milk and cook a little longer, stirring and letting the milk and fennel butter absorb.
- Let the fennel cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the béchamel.
- Pour the fennel and béchamel into a large bowl.
- Add the parmesan and eggs.
- Mix everything well.
- Grease a ring mold and place it in a pan with water for cooking in a bain marie.
- Pour the fennel mixture into the mold. Sprinkle the surface with grated cheese or breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 45/50 minutes, but supervise cooking.
- Remove the flan from the edges of the mold using a knife, and then turn the mold upside down on a serving plate.
This dish is the recipe “392. SFORMATO DI FOCCHI “from Artusi’s book” Science in the kitchen and the art of eating well ”