Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 325 / serving
Cod with cruschi peppers is a traditional recipe of the Lucanian cuisine, where these special peppers were born traditionally as a product preserved in a particular way. They are sweet dried peppers that are fried and immediately placed in the freezer, this process will give crunchiness and crispness, originally they were put out in the air in winter instead of in the freezer. This recipe is perfect to be prepared if you want to stay light or want to eat lean, with fish, vegetables and olive oil. However, it is a very tasty preparation, one of the recipes with the most particular peppers, characterized by the contrast between the crunchy cruschi peppers and the soft and savory codfish, and between red and white, for an inviting chromatic effect. diners to taste this second dish.
- 800 gr of cod already soaked
- 300 gr of dried peppers
- extra virgin olive oil with a strong taste
- a bunch of chopped parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- some hot red pepper or chili oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Boil the cod in salted water brought to boil for 4-5 minutes, but be careful, first check how salty the cod is still. To check the flavor, taste a flake of cod, if it is soft and well desalinated, then you can take it out from soaking.
- Drain it, remove the skin and make it into small pieces.
- Put it in a concave serving dish.
- Clean the parsley, wash it and chop it together with the garlic and chilli, if you use it.
- Clean the dried peppers with a cloth, never use water, not even a damp cloth.
- Eliminate the stalks and seeds contained within, then optionally leave them whole or cut them into pieces.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, add a pinch of salt and when the oil is hot, throw in the dried peppers which, when in contact with the hot oil, will become crunchy, just a few seconds.
- Pour the peppers with their oil on the cod, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Be careful, they burn easily, so we suggest you remove the pan from the heat just after putting the peppers in it and continue cooking with the heat off.
If you love stewed dishes, you can add tomato sauce or cook tomatoes with an onion and extra virgin olive oil for 15 minutes, after having simmered half a glass of dry white wine in the pan only with the onion browned for a few minutes. .
At this point add the cruschi peppers and cod and cook over low heat for two minutes.
Variant with potatoes
This cod with cruschi peppers is also excellent accompanied with potatoes cooked roasted in a pan or boiled and seasoned in a pan with parsley and garlic.
Once the potatoes are almost cooked, add the freshly boiled cod, left behind from cooking and add it to the pan with the potatoes, mix the flavors over low heat for 3 minutes.
Finally add the freshly fried cruschi peppers with garlic and parsley, still sizzling, mix everything for a minute, with the heat off, and let it rest for another 15 minutes, so that everything is flavored to the right point.
Chop some pepper just before serving.
Being a fish dish we advise you to consume it freshly made or at most to keep it in an airtight container in the oven for the following day.
For this tasty dish we can think of rather complex white wines or young and low tannic red wines.
In the first case we recommend a Soave or Etna white Doc, among the reds, however, a red Sant’Agata dei Goti, typical of the province of Benevento, quite close to the Lucanian region.
For those who love bubbles, we can satisfy you and suggest the combination with the Oltrepò Pavese Metodo Classico, a wine of structure and character, capable of supporting the richest preparations of flavor like this one, which are traditionally combined with red wines.
Photo by Rocco Lucia