Lorne’s square sausage, a beloved Scottish breakfast staple, is a type of ground sausage that is formed into square patties. It is typically made from a blend of beef, pork, and spices or seasonings like salt, pepper, and nutmeg. This unique sausage patty has a firm texture that makes it perfect for frying or grilling.
If you’re wondering how to cook Lorne’s square sausage just right, this comprehensive guide will show you everything you need to know! From the quality of meat to the ideal pan type, prepping the meat to cooking it perfectly, serving suggestions to troubleshooting tips – this article covers it all.
## What You Need to Know Before Cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s take a moment to go over some critical aspects to keep in mind while preparing Lorne’s square sausage.
### 1. Quality of Meat
Using good quality meat is essential when making Lorne’s square sausage. Choose fresh beef and pork with a good fat ratio as it contributes to flavor and texture. Avoid using ‘mystery’ meats as these have poor quality and are less flavorful.
### 2. Meat Mix
A mix of beef and pork, seasoned with salt and other spices such as nutmeg or pepper, provides the best flavor of Lorne’s square sausages. Some variations may include sage or thyme for an added punch of flavor.
### 3. Seasonings & Spices
Seasonings and spices play a crucial role in how your Lorne’s squares taste. Use them sparingly but enough to yield their unique flavors without overpowering the meat’s natural taste.
### 4. Types of Pan
For ideal results, use a non-stick skillet or griddle when cooking Lorne’s squares. Avoid using cast iron pans as they tend to stick due to their porous surface structure.
## Prepping the Meat
Before cooking, you need to prepare the meat properly. Here’s how:
### 1. Preparing the Meat Mix
To create the perfect blend, mix 250g ground beef and 250g ground pork with one teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon each of black pepper, nutmeg, and sage (optional).
Blend all ingredients together until well combined.
### 2. Adding Flavors
To add your twist to Lorne’s square sausage patties, you can incorporate unique flavors into your meat mix. For instance, you can add chopped herbs like rosemary or thyme, chili flakes for a bit of heat, or grated garlic for a bold flavor.
### 3. Shaping Your Sausages
Divide the meat mixture into equal parts and shape each portion into a square and about half-an-inch thick. Use a knife to score lines down the meat squares to mark out individual servings.
## Cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage
Now that we have the meat prepped let’s cook!
### 1. Techniques for Cooking Perfectly
Cooking Lorne’s square sausage requires different methods – oven baking, grilling, or frying – to serve perfectly on your breakfast plate.
### 2. Oven-Baked Method
– Preheat the oven to 200C and place Lorne’s square sausage in a greased dish.
– Bake them for ten minutes before turning them once using tongs.
– Continue baking them for another ten minutes or until they’re well browned.
### 3. Grilled Method
– Preheat your grill pan at high heat
– Brush each side of the sausage with some oil
– Grill for about four minutes on one side and turn over once cooked through
– Grilled Lorne’s sausages should be evenly browned on both sides.
### 4. Fried Method
– Heat up your non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, add a knob of butter to grease the surface slightly.
– Fry patties for five minutes on each side or until golden brown.
– Remove from the skillet and let stand for at least a minute before serving.
## Serving Suggestions
Lorne’s square sausage has always been a staple in Scottish breakfasts, served alongside other classic items like black pudding, tattie scones, and fried eggs. But there are more creative ways to serve your cooked Lorne’s squares – below are some ideas to get you started:
### 1. Classic Scotch Breakfast
– Serving suggestion: cook your Lorne’s square sausage with black pudding, bacon rashers, tattie scones, and grilled tomatoes.
– A staple Scottish breakfast dish.
### 2. Unconventional Ways to Serve Lorne’s Square Sausage
– Use your cooked Lorne’s square sausage patties as stuffing for sandwiches or burgers
– Make your version of a “full English breakfast,” using Lornes Square sausage instead of regular sausages
– Add crumbled Lornes’ square sausage into your favorite quiches, frittata or omelet recipe.
## Troubleshooting Tips
Nobody wants their breakfast ruined due to the following mistakes while cooking your Lorne’s square sausages. Here are common mistakes and how to fix them:
### 1. Common Mistakes Made While Cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage
– Over-frying can dry out the meat and change its texture.
– Under-frying will leave the inner moisture uncooked leading to undercooked sausage.
### 2. Overcoming These Mistakes And Salvaging Cooked Sausages
To recalibrate overcooked Lorne’s square sausages; you reheat in the oven with some butter or microwave it with butter for extra moisture. For undercooked sausages, decrease your cooking heat and give it a bit more time for the inner moisture to cook through.
Cooking Lorne’s square sausage is easy but requires attention to detail to get it right. The perfect mix of meat, added flavors, choice of pan and cooking method can make a massive difference in how they turn out. Experimentation is a large part of cooking, so don’t be afraid to put your spin on the recipe – give it your unique flavor. With the comprehensive guide above, you are equipped with all you need to know to cook the perfect Lorne’s square sausage for your next brekkie!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Lorne’s Square Sausage be Fried or Grilled?
Absolutely, Lorne’s Square Sausage can be cooked using either the frying or grilling method. It is up to personal preference which method you use, as both will result in a deliciously cooked sausage.
2. How Long Should I Cook Lorne’s Square Sausage For?
When cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage, it is important to make sure it is cooked all the way through. On average, it should take approximately 6-8 minutes per side if frying, and 10-12 minutes when grilling. However, this may vary depending on the thickness of your sausage.
3. Is It Necessary to Preheat the Pan or Grill Before Cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage?
Preheating your pan or grill before cooking Lorne’s Square Sausage is highly recommended as it will ensure that your sausage cooks evenly and prevents it from sticking to the pan or grill. Heat your pan or grill to medium-high heat before adding your sausage.
4. How Can I Serve My Cooked Lorne’s Square Sausage?
Lorne’s Square Sausage can be served in various ways. Some popular serving methods include placing it on a roll with some condiments such as ketchup or brown sauce for a quick breakfast sandwich, or served with potatoes and beans for a hearty Scottish breakfast. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and enjoy!