Dim sims are a popular Chinese dish that has become a favorite among people all over the world. They are small, bite-sized parcels of meat and vegetable fillings, wrapped in thin dough. Traditionally, dim sims are steamed or boiled before serving, but if you don’t have access to a stovetop, cooking them in the microwave is a great option.
Cooking dim sims in the microwave is an easy and convenient way to enjoy this delicious dish without the need for specialized equipment. In this article, we will provide you with an easy-to-follow guide on how to cook dim sims in the microwave.
Before we dive into how to cook dim sims in the microwave, let’s discuss what you’ll need.
- Frozen or fresh dim sims
- Microwave-safe container with lid (not essential)
- Plastic wrap
How to thaw frozen dim sims
If your dim sims are frozen, make sure to thaw them completely before cooking. You can do this by placing them on a plate and microwaving them for 2-3 minutes or until they are soft enough to handle.
Steps for Cooking Dim Sims in the Microwave
Now that we have our ingredients and materials prepared let’s follow these steps:
- Add water to the bottom of your container; ensure it only covers about a third of the way up.
- Place your dim sum carefully inside while leaving space around each one; be sure not to overcrowd.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap – create several air holes for steam release while not letting any escape.
- Place your prepared container into your microwave oven on high heat settings and start cooking.
Microwaving time really varies based on how powerful your oven is and whether you’re cooking fresh ones or from frozen form. We suggest beginning with five minutes first.
- Once finished microwaving all pieces, let them rest for a minimum of one minute to avoid cold centres when consuming.
To provide you with a bit more detail, here’s an elaborated processed guide on how to cook dim sims in the microwave:
1. Add Water to the Container
The purpose of this step is to cook your dim sims evenly while preventing them from drying out. Start by adding water into the bottom of your microwave-safe container – ensure that the liquid covers only about a third of the way up.
2. Placing Dim Sims in Container & Covering with Plastic Wrap
Once you have added enough water, carefully place the dim sims inside at least an inch apart from each other and cover them tightly with plastic wrap. Remember, don’t overcrowd; otherwise, they will not heat evenly.
3. Microwaving on High for Specific Amount of Time
Set your microwave oven to full power and adjust based on experience levels and wattage readings for optimal results, for instance:
- If microwaving fresh dim sum dumplings:
- One minute at high power level already cooks two or three.
- When packing six or more individual frozen ones into larger Tupperware containers.
- Add a tablespoon or so worth of extra H2O before sealing every time; doing so helps keep moisture levels up while also making sure that there’s plenty of heat exchange going on.
4. Resting Period Before Eating
Allowing your cooked dim sim parcels just after microwaving allows all parts to come up nearer room temperature fully; doing so will ensure there are no cold spots left before serving.
Other Cooking Methods Compared: Steaming vs Boiling vs Deep-frying
Steaming is perhaps one of the most popular ways to prepare dim sims because it retains their original flavor and texture while keeping calories low. However, boiling and deep-frying are two other common methods used to cook these small parcels.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Each Method
- Retained original taste and texture.
- Helps lower calories that may be higher in frying.
- Minimizes the need for cooking oils or fats, keeping the dish healthier.
- Steaming can take longer to cook your dumplings thoroughly when compared with boiling or microwaving.
- It requires you to have a steamer basket or pot in your kitchen already.
- Faster overall as they would likely finish cooking inside only 10 minutes depending on if they are fresh we’re working with pre-frozen stock or not.
- Their skins remain more pliable, so they won’t tear open during eating.
- May take away some of their natural flavor by using a heated water bath.
- Can sometimes be boiled too long, which makes them at high risk of softening excessively.
- Gives dim sims an even better crispy exterior compared to other methods if executed properly.
- Allows for variety with dipping sauces based on type cooked (if sweet/ sour/ spicy etc.).
- Adds considerable calories by way of adding cooking oil into the pan; may not be the healthiest option available.
- Requires additional equipment such as a deep fryer machine which may be expensive initially.
|Microwaving||Easy & Convenient||Risk of Overcooking & Uneven Heating|
|Steaming||Retained Original Flavor & Texture & Low Calories||Needs Specialized Equipments|
|Boiling||Fast Heating Time and Tender Result||Some Natural Flavors May Vanish & Risk of Softening Too Much|
|Deep-frying||Extra Crispy Exterior and Good for Dipping Sauces||High Calorie Count & Need for Expensive Equipment|
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Dim Sims Every Time
Make sure to follow these tips to ensure your dim sims are perfectly cooked:
- Avoid Overcooking or Undercooking When microwaving, it is important not to overcook or undercook your dim sims. Keep a watchful eye on them while cooking, trying out in smaller batches, and adjusting the time required.
- Use Chopsticks or Tongs Using chopsticks or tongs makes it easier to pick up the hot parcels without damaging their delicate skin.
- Allow Enough Space Between Dim Sims Never overcrowd the container as this will prevent air circulation in the microwave and lead to uneven heating times.
Cooking dim sims in the microwave is an easy and convenient way to enjoy this popular dish without needing specialized equipment or ingredients. It’s essential to keep an eye on microwaving time based on wattage levels until you find what works best for your machine/quantity used.
Whether you choose to steam, boil, deep-fry, or cook them in the microwave; each method comes with its advantages and disadvantages worth considering before preparing any batch of dumplings.
Now you have everything you need to start cooking your delicious dim sims using a microwave oven today like a pro!
- Q: Can you cook frozen dim sims in the microwave? A: Yes, you can! In fact, microwaving is a quick and convenient way to prepare your favorite dim sims at home.
- Q: How long should I cook my dim sims in the microwave? A: It depends on the wattage of your microwave and the size of your dim sims. As a general rule, start with 2-3 minutes on high heat and adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Q: Is it safe to cook dim sims in the microwave? A: Absolutely! Just make sure you follow the instructions on the package and don’t overcrowd your microwave-safe dish. Always use oven mitts or a towel when handling hot food from the microwave.
- Q: What’s the best way to serve microwaved dim sims? A: You can enjoy them plain, with soy sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping, or add them to soups and stir-fries for extra flavor and texture. Get creative and experiment with different sauces and seasonings for a delicious meal at any time of day!