Pre-cooked ham is a delicious and convenient choice for any meal. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just looking for an easy weeknight dinner, cooking pre-cooked ham is a great option. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about cooking pre-cooked ham from Walmart.
Firstly, what exactly is pre-cooked ham? Pre-cooked ham is simply a ham that has already been cooked before it’s packaged and sold at the store. It can come bone-in or boneless and can be found in various sizes. Some people prefer pre-cooked ham over raw ham because it’s easier to prepare. Since the ham is already cooked, all you need to do is heat it up in the oven or on the stove.
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s go over some basic information you’ll need to know before starting.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cooking Pre-Cooked Ham
- Determine how much ham you need to serve. When choosing your pre-cooked ham, make sure you pick the right size for your needs. You should plan on 1 pound of meat per person if serving as a main dish. If using for sandwiches or other recipes, adjust accordingly.
- Review packaging information for heating and cooking instructions. Many brands of pre-cooked hams will have specific instructions for heating their product printed on the packaging. Be sure to review these before starting.
- Prepare the oven by preheating it to the recommended temperature. You’ll want to follow any temperature recommendations included on your packaging, but typically hams are cooked at 325°F (165°C). Make sure your oven has reached the proper temperature before placing your ham inside.
- Remove packaging and place the pre-cooked ham in a roasting pan with a rack. Be gentle when removing your pre-cooked ham from its packaging so that it doesn’t fall apart. Place it in the roasting pan with the fatty side facing up. A rack will help keep the ham from sticking to the bottom of the pan and allow for even heating.
- Cover the ham with foil or a lid if recommended on the packaging. Some pre-cooked hams may recommend covering while cooking to ensure moisture retention and even heating. Check your packaging instructions to see if this is suggested.
- Heat for an appropriate amount of time (time based on weight). The specific cooking time will depend on the weight of your pre-cooked ham. Generally, you’ll want to heat it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes per pound.
- Test the temperature of the ham at its thickest part, ensuring that it has reached an internal temperature of 140°F (60°C). Using a meat thermometer, check the temperature of your ham at its thickest point. You’ll want to make sure that it reaches a safe internal temperature of 140°F (60°C).
- Rest the cooked ham for at least 3 minutes after removing it from the oven or smoker. Once your pre-cooked ham has finished cooking, allow it to rest for at least three minutes before cutting into it. This will help retain moisture and flavors.
Tips for Cooking Pre-Cooked Ham
Preparing glaze suggestions While pre-cooked hams can stand alone without any additional flavors or seasonings, many people like to add extra flavor by creating a glaze. Here are some ideas:
- Mix honey and mustard together and brush over your pre-cooked ham before baking.
- Create a brown sugar and butter mixture and add in some cinnamon or nutmeg for extra spice.
- Spread a thin layer of orange marmalade all over your pre-cooked ham before heating it up.
Suggestions for cuts and plating options One popular way to slice a pre-cooked ham is to cut it into thin slices and arrange them in a spiral pattern around a serving platter. You can also choose to slice the ham thickly and present it on a tray with bread, cheese, and crackers for easy snacking.
Best side dishes to go with pre-cooked ham When serving pre-cooked ham, there are many tasty side dishes that pair well with it. Here are some ideas:
- Roasted vegetables (such as asparagus, carrots or potatoes)
- Sweet potato casserole
- Green bean casserole
- Macaroni and cheese
Extra Toppings After Preparation
Can you put pineapple on top – best practices If you’re looking to add something sweet to your pre-cooked ham, pineapple is a great option. Here’s how to do it:
- Drain a can of pineapple rings and reserve the juice.
- In a saucepan, mix together brown sugar and reserved pineapple juice.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the pineapple rings over your pre-cooked ham.
- Brush the brown sugar mixture over the entire surface of your ham.
- Continue cooking according to package instructions.
Cajun honey glazed option suggested by Walmart Looking for something with more flavor? Walmart suggests this Cajun Honey Glazed Ham recipe:
Ingredients: 1 9-pound bone-in whole smoked ham (precooked) 1/2 cup honey 1/4 cup orange juice 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Remove packaging from smoked ham and place it in a roasting pan with a rack.
- Mix honey, orange juice, and Creole seasoning together in a bowl.
- Brush glaze all over smoked ham.
- Bake for 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 140 °F (60°C).
- Let the smoked ham rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Cooking pre-cooked ham is easy and convenient, making it a great option for any meal. By following these step-by-step instructions and using some of our recommended tips, you’ll be able to cook a delicious pre-cooked ham from Walmart. Remember to always follow packaging instructions for cooking times and temperatures to ensure safe and tasty results. Enjoy your meal!
- Q: Can I just heat up a pre-cooked ham from Walmart in the microwave? A: While it is possible to heat up a pre-cooked ham in the microwave, a more recommended method would be to warm it up in the oven. This will ensure that the ham is evenly heated and retains its moisture.
- Q: How long should I cook a pre-cooked ham from Walmart in the oven? A: Depending on the size of your ham, you should cook it for around 10-12 minutes per pound at 325°F. Be sure to cover the ham with foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Q: Is there any special way I need to prepare my pre-cooked ham before cooking it? A: Preparing your ham before cooking depends on personal preference, but one common step is to glaze it with your choice of ingredients, such as brown sugar and honey or mustard and pineapple juice. You can also score the surface of the ham with a knife for extra flavor.
- Q: Can I freeze leftover pre-cooked ham from Walmart? A: Yes! If you have leftover ham after your meal, you can store it in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for later use. To thaw, simply leave the ham in the refrigerator overnight or reheat directly from frozen when ready to use.