Everything You Need to Know About Frying El Monterey Burritos
What is an El Monterey Burrito?
El Monterey is a popular brand known for its frozen burritos, taquitos, and other Mexican-inspired products. The brand has been around since the 1960s and has become a household name for those looking for quick and easy meals without sacrificing taste.
Their burritos come in various flavors, such as beef and bean, chicken and cheese, and even breakfast options like egg and sausage. Compared to other frozen burrito brands, El Monterey stands out for its authentic flavors and quality ingredients.
How to Cook El Monterey Burritos
Before we get into frying El Monterey burritos, let’s first discuss the different cooking methods available. This way, you can determine which method works best for you.
– Microwave instructions: Pierce the packaging with a fork and heat the burrito on high for 1-2 minutes per burrito.
– Oven instructions: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Remove the burritos from their packaging, wrap in foil, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
– Air fryer instructions: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Place the burritos in the basket (do not overcrowd), and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Now that we’ve covered the basics let’s talk about frying.
Can You Fry El Monterey Burritos?
Many people prefer frying frozen burritos instead of microwaving or baking them because it adds flavor and crispiness to the texture. However, not all frozen burritos are created equal when it comes to frying.
So can you fry El Monterey burritos? The answer is yes! However, there are certain precautions you should take before doing so.
The first thing to consider is the type of oil you use. It’s important to use an oil with a high smoke point, such as canola or vegetable oil, to ensure the burritos don’t burn or smoke too much.
Additionally, it’s crucial to follow proper frying techniques and pay attention to the temperature of the oil to avoid any accidents. These measures will ensure that your El Monterey burritos are fried safely and come out deliciously crisp.
The Pros and Cons of Frying El Monterey Burritos
Before you decide whether or not to fry your El Monterey burritos, let’s weigh the pros and cons.
– Satisfying crispiness: Frying gives the burritos a satisfying texture that enhances their flavor.
– Flavorful: The frying process imbues distinct flavors in the burritos that baking or microwaving may not provide.
– Fast cooking time: Compared to baking in an oven, frying puts a crispy exterior on your frozen burrito in just a few minutes.
– Adds additional calories: Adding oil makes the process of frying not so healthy for those who count their calories.
– Messy: When frying, there will be spatters of oil it might make cleaning up greasy.
– Requires more equipment: A stove and a pan are necessary for frying instead of just using a microwave/outlet.
How to Properly Fry El Monterey Burritos
If you’ve weighed the pros and cons and decided to fry your El Monterey burritos here is how:
1. Heat up two inches of vegetable or canola oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a thermometer for accuracy.
2. Carefully place each frozen burrito into the hot oil. Fry for 2-4 minutes until golden brown, for even cooking, flip the burrito halfway through cooking.
3. When golden brown, remove the burritos using a slotted spoon, and place them on a plate lined with absorbent paper towels to drain excess oils.
Tips for avoiding common mistakes when frying:
– Do not overcrowd: Too many burritos and your oil temperature will lower producing greasy food.
– Maintain oil temperature: Keep a close eye on the temperature of your oil so that it doesn’t overheat or drop too low when adding cold burritos.
– Don’t Forget to Drain: Extra grease gives a bitter taste. Use paper towels or even cooling racks to drain after removing from the hot oil.
Alternative Cooking Methods for El Monterey Burritos
If you aren’t comfortable with frying or are looking for other ways to cook your burritos, here are two alternative options.
1. Grilling El Monterey Burritos: Preheat your grill to medium heat. Place your burritos on the grilling grate and grill each side 2-3 minutes until hot and slightly charred. Pro-tip: To keep them from sticking, lightly oil your grilling grate or use indirect heat by placing the burritos away from direct flame.
2. Steaming El Monterey Burritos: Fill up a pot with an inch of water and place a steaming basket on top. Bring water to boil and then place frozen burritos in steamer basket. Steam for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Creative Ways to Serve El Monterey Burritos
El Monterey burritos are versatile and can be eaten as is, or incorporated into various dishes:
Ideas for toppings:
– Sour cream
Ideas for meals:
– Breakfast wrap: Add a scrambled egg or two to the burrito for an enjoyable breakfast wrap.
– Salad topping: Cut the burrito up into small pieces and use as a topper for your favorite salad.
– Nacho base: Unwrap your burritos and chop them up into bite-size pieces before adding your favorite nacho toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions About El Monterey Burritos
Q: Are El Monterey burritos healthy?
A: El Monterey burritos are not considered the healthiest food option, as they contain a significant amount of fat, sodium, and calories. It is recommended not to consume them too frequently.
Q: How long do El Monterey burritos stay fresh in the refrigerator after opening?
A: Once you have opened the package, it’s best to eat or freeze the remaining burritos within 2-3 days for freshness.
Frying El Monterey burritos can be a delicious way to add some crispiness to your frozen food options. It’s important to follow proper frying techniques and understand the pros and cons before you decide if this method is right for you. Ultimately, whether you choose to fry, grill, steam, or bake your El Monterey burritos – they’re sure to satisfy any craving!
Can you fry El Monterey burritos?
Absolutely! Frying frozen El Monterey burritos is a great way to enjoy a crispy, hot snack or meal in minutes. Just follow the instructions on the packaging for best results.
What is the best oil to use for frying El Monterey burritos?
It is recommended to use a high-heat oil such as vegetable, canola, or peanut oil when frying El Monterey burritos. These types of oil have a higher smoke point which prevents them from burning and ruining the taste of your burrito.
How long should you fry El Monterey burritos?
The cooking time may vary depending on the size of your burrito and the temperature of your oil. Typically, it takes about 3-5 minutes to cook an El Monterey burrito until it’s golden brown and crispy on both sides. Make sure to follow the cooking instructions on the packaging for best results.
Can you air fry El Monterey burritos?
Yes! Air frying your El Monterey burritos is a healthier alternative to traditional frying. Simply preheat your air fryer to 390°F and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Your burrito will come out crispy, hot, and delicious without all the extra oil and fat!