Boerewors is a tasty sausage that has become very popular in South Africa and other parts of the world. This delicious sausage comes in different flavors and is made from a mixture of beef, pork, and spices. One of the easiest ways to cook Boerewors is through microwave cooking. In this article, we have provided readers with tips on how to cook boerewors in the microwave, along with some recipes to try out.
Preparing the Boerewors for Cooking in the Microwave
Before cooking Boerewors in the microwave, it is essential first to prepare it correctly. To do this:
- Remove casings from boerewors: Before cooking your Boerewors in the microwave, you need to remove the casings. Casings can be tough when cooked and may make your meal difficult to chew.
- Cutting boerewors into smaller pieces: After removing the casings from your Boerewors, cut it into smaller pieces. By cutting it into smaller pieces, you will be able to cook it evenly, reducing incidences of undercooked or overcooked Boerewors.
- Seasoning or marinating the boerewors: You can add some spices or marinade to enhance its flavor.
Choosing The Right Microwave-Safe Container
When choosing a container for cooking boiled-in-the-bag sausages (steaming), it’s important to select one with a lid that fits tightly. Covering your meat helps create steam which assists in boiling and steaming your meat properly.
Additionally, using a microwave-safe container prevents harmful plastic chemicals from leaching into your food as they’re heated up through radiation.
Cooking Boerewors in The Microwave
After preparing your Boards correctly and selecting an appropriate cooking container:
- Place prepared boerewors into a microwave-safe container: Arrange them neatly ensuring there’s enough room for steam to flow in the container.
- Microwaving on high power with intervals and checking frequently: Timing will depend on the size of your batch and the wattage of your microwave. Set your microwave for 3 minutes, then pause. Remove the container from the microwave, turn the meat over, then return it to continue microwaving. This helps cook both sides evenly without creating hot spots.
- Why checking frequently is important – Safety tips for microwaving, i.e., avoiding burns etc.: Checking regularly to avoid burning or drying out your meat pieces. Wearing oven mittens when handling hot objects reduces any burns and increases handling safety.
Tips to Ensure Perfectly Cooked Boerewors
If you desire perfectly cooked Boerewors:
- Stop and stir occasionally while microwaving: Frequent stirring ensures that portions cook evenly without creating hotspots where some parts receive too much heat while others less.
Recipes For Cooking In The Microwave With Boerewors:
Here are a few recipes that you can make while cooking Boerewors in the microwave that will leave your guests asking for more:
Microwave-steamed Vegetables with Boerewors & Spices
This meal will take approximately 30 minutes to prepare.
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preparation steps beginning with prepping vegetables:
- Clean vegetables using running water
- Cut them into small pieces
- Arrange them alongside boerewors pieces freshly sautéd in olive oil.
- Season by adding salt and black pepper.
- Steam them In a resealable plastic bag within a microwave-safe dish with an opening at the top holes to facilitate easy steam escape
Pilaf Rice with Boerewors In The Microwave
This flourished dish takes about 40 minutes to complete.
- Basmati or long-grain white rice
- Saffron threads
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh herbs – parsley or cilantro
- Boerewors sausage
- Salt and pepper
Steps to prepare (preparation starts from boiling the rice):
- Preheat your microwave: At high power, preheat over for 5 mins
- Fry the sausage elevated heat until slightly browned.
- Rinse the basmati in water, then place it inside a microwave-safe dish.
- Add some olive oil and salt followed by boiled water ensuring there’s twice as much water ratio-wise compared to rice.
- Cover tightly with lid when microwaving uncovered for five minutes on high flame. Gradually reduce heat afterward for nine minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish your rice using fresh herbs such as cilantro and serve alongside sausages.
Alternative Methods For Cooking Boarwos
While cooking Boarwos in the microwave is easy, alternative cooking methods include frying or roasting.
Advantages of each method:
- Frying/pan-searing gives tanned outer edges creating an enticing aroma.
- Roasting adds rich smoky flavor with juicy meat texture that won’t dry out when cooking longer at low temperatures.
How to decide which method to use: choose a method that fits your level of experience, tastes, timing convenience, kitchen space and available ingredients.
Cooking Boerewors in the microwave is one of the quickest ways of preparing a tasty meal with less effort whipping up various delicious dishes in minutes without compromising its unique taste origins.
Try our recipes above or modify them to suit your needs and keep on cooking!
- Q: Can you really cook boerewors in the microwave? A: Yes, you can! It might not be the traditional cooking method for this South African sausage, but it’s quick and convenient.
- Q: Is there anything special I need to do before microwaving the boerewors? A: It’s recommended to prick the boerewors with a fork or toothpick several times before microwaving. This helps release steam and prevent the sausage from exploding.
- Q: How long does it take to cook boerewors in the microwave? A: The cooking time can vary depending on the power of your microwave and the size of your sausage. As a general rule, start with two minutes per side on high, then check if it is cooked through by cutting into a section.
- Q: What kind of dish or container should I use when microwaving boerewors? A: Use a microwave-safe plate or dish that’s large enough to fit the sausage comfortably. Some people suggest using a bowl flipped upside down, so that you can create an indentation in which to place the sausage – this cradles it and prevents rolling during cooking.